My husband jokes that when our ‘Pilates Guru’ Kaethe married her husband, Dan, he immediately became part of the Urban Fitness family! It’s actually quite true as he’s become a dedicated pilates student, has helped us with numerous vlog videos, and is now sharing healthy recipes for us to share with others! Most recently, Dan re-discovered a healthy version of apple crumble that can be made in the crockpot and even made to be gluten-free if needed. He was kind enough to snap a few pictures throughout the process, which you’ll see below.
Please enjoy this seasonal recipe and all of the delicious smells that will permeate your kitchen while it cooks!
Healthy Apple Crumble: Crock Pot Recipe
• 4-5 organic cooking apples, peeled and sliced
• 1/2 cup organic brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1/2 cup organic whole wheat flour
• 3/4 cup organic rolled oats
• 1 tsp organic ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
• 4 Tbsp organic butter, softened
1. Lightly butter the crockpot and lay the apple slices at the bottom of the crock.
2. Combine the sugar, flour, rolled oats, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter.
3. Sprinkle the topping over the base of the apples.
4. Cook on low for 3-5 hours.
Gluten free option:
-For a gluten free variant, skip adding any flour. Also, you can substitute gluten-free oats for the regular rolled oats.
Dan’s side notes:
When I made this dish, I had forgotten to peel the apples. The addition of the peels was barely noticeable, though, so I might recommend leaving the peels on for that extra bit of nutrition.
Looking for more ways to boost your nutrition? Schedule your free nutrition consultation.
Addie Kelzer is a certified personal trainer and nutrition consultant. She believes that by making fitness and good food practical, her clients will hold the power to positively change their health and the health of those closest to them.